10 July 2006

Marriage as sacrament

Jamie Arpin-Ricci has a wonderful post on sacraments and eschatology, and my favorite part is this brief paragraph on marriage:

In the last ten years, as this sacramental view began to mature in my life, I came to understand why many of the ancient traditions view marriage as a sacrament (Note, I am referring to marraige, not just the wedding). The love between spouses is used frequently in Scripture as a parallel for God's love for His people. While I once believed that God was simply using a convenient parallel in this regards, but I have come to believe that marriage was formed to reflect that pre-existing, eternal Love- that this Truth is so central and important that it has been written into the fabric of Creation itself.

Really, really good, true stuff. Thanks, Jamie!

2 comments:

Cori said...

Gary Thomas writes a great book titled 'The Sacred Marriage'. In it he suggests that the purpose of marriage is not primarily to make us happy, but rather to make us holy - and to make us fully aware of what God's love is really all about - being that love and receiving that love.

I like this idea of marriage as sacrement...

Thanks for this, Michael!

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Thanks for the shout out. I hope to do a few more posts on eschatology soon.

Peace,
Jamie