06 November 2008

On having little to say


I used to blog a lot. March '08, not so long ago, was a banner month for my blogging output, in fact.

Now I don't blog so much. I was thinking, this morning, about why that might be. I think it's mostly because my thoughts of late - about church, theology, community, culture, etc. - are muchly in a swirl of speculation, and rarely seem to crystallize enough to warrant a blog post. It's been like this:
  • I do what I do (church stuff, family stuff, day job, etc.).
  • I think I perceive a pattern or something.
  • I have some conversations about it with friends.
  • I realize that the reality is more complicated than I was thinking.
  • The pattern grows indistinct.
  • I do not blog it. Return to first bullet point.
I think this is good. There's nothing bad about this. I'm learning, and listening, and tentatively experimenting. I've had phases like this before, and I feel like with all the cultural change that's swirling about us, this sort of thing is pretty appropriate right now. If you're paying attention, it becomes clear that "paying attention" is a good game plan these days. Or so it seems to me.

In other news, I switched feed readers. Sayonara, Bloglines - you've served me well. I may come back to you one day, but for now I'm lured by the siren call of Google Reader, with its much superior mobile interface, integration with Blogger, and general feature set.

Also, I'm proud of my country right now. I don't think I have crazy expectations, but it doesn't feel bad to indulge in some smile for this deeply flawed, idealistic human enterprise we call the USA, with its huge potential for good, as well as evil.

Peace.

1 comment:

Moff said...

Oh, how I love this post. I think I will return to your bulleted list anytime I'm searching for clarity on why I can't seem to generate a blog post, either. :^D