21 May 2006

N.T. Wright: Simply Christian

This past Tuesday, I attended an outstanding lecture at the National Cathedral from Tom (N.T.) Wright, Anglican Bishop of Durham (England) and superlative New Testament scholar/theologian, on his latest book, Simply Christian, which is a fairly slim treatise on the essentials of following Jesus, in the tradition of C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity.

As always, the wonderful folks at the Cathedral have made the video of this talk available. You can watch it here. I highly recommend that you do so.

I took notes at the lecture intending to blog them, but I'm feeling lazy. I'll gladly blog my notes if anyone asks me to, but if everyone would rather just watch the video (and if you've got the time, you should do that!) then I'll save myself the trouble. So, if you'd like to read my notes, please let me know (comment on this post). Don't worry about putting me out - I really don't mind a bit blogging my notes if anyone wants to read them.

For now, I'll just tease you with some near-quotes from the end of Wright's talk, when he was speaking about our eschatological hope regarding the Kingdom of God on earth as it is in heaven:

"In justice, God will put the world to right....There will come a time when we can love and be loved; know and be known....It is time now to take up our proper role as agents, heralds, and stewards of the new day that is dawning."

Thy kingdom come!

No comments: